This past weekend found us at the Palm Springs Convention Center for Modernism Week. This was our first year attending, and we only spent the day. Next year we're hoping to make it for the whole weekend since there are so many great tours and events to attend.
We were seriously inspired by all the amazing modernist art and design on display. Check out the album on Facebook.
After Palm Springs we headed up to Yucca Valley and Joshua Tree for some picking and camping. Sunday we spent the day picking our away through the various antique malls and vintage stores in Yucca Valley as well as the Joshua Tree Swap Meet.
The swap meet was desolate, but we met with some success. The antique malls all seem to have raised their prices since this time last year, which was a disappointment. We found a couple items within our price range at least.
- two Blenko carafes–one with a modern sticker, one with no sticker or markings
- a Kilban Cat sculptural candle holder
- two kokeshis
- a pair of Netsukes
- three Kachinas[!] including an amazing tall old one
- a pair of Iittala Ultima Thule schnapps glasses
- blue David Stewart for Lion's Valley rabbit planter
- french double-action orange lacquered corkscrew
- cute ceramic owl
- enameled copper dish signed "fløm" on the bottom
- a small C Jeré style metal flower statue
- a three-and-a-half point Hudson Bay blanket (that needs to go to the dry cleaner's but is otherwise mint)
- and, last but not least, an incredible large ceramic pot that is signed "Young 72"
We'll close out this post with some J-Tree photos:
|Another favorite spot is on top of Cyclops–a roadside mound across from Intersection Rock. The view looking out over endless Joshua trees marching through the boulders of the Asteroid Belt is pretty epic.|
The beautiful blue bunny, the ultima thule glasses, the orange corkscrew and Joshua Tree are my favorites! Keep it up!ReplyDelete
Thanks! We will.Delete